Monday, December 6, 2010

Sermon on the Mount - a spirit warrior's goal for living

The Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5:1-7:27 gives us the ultimate standard by which we should live our lives. I belive this is one of Jesus' most inspired sermons. Some people say this is a goal by which we should live and I agree, but others say it is unachievable. But the Bible also says we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.
Don't get me wrong, I try to live my life and do the best I can, but I miss the mark often times. I must tell you, though, if we don't have a goal in mind in the way we live our lives, we'll never be able to achieve the life God wants us to live. Hence, the Sermon on the Mount.
Over and over again, I read the Sermon and have tried to memorize it. I've got Chapter 5 down pretty good, but I keep going over it. One of the themes that I see, is that God wants us to be humble in heart. He doesn't want us to flaunt the things we've done in our lives. He wants us to keep quiet about the good we do for others.
This goes against our flesh and that can be a tough battle. It's just like fastening. The flesh wants to be fed, but when we do something for someone else, we are to keep it between us and God. Let God reward us openly.
At times that can be tough. We've given all that we have and there is no apparent reward - at this time.
The older I get the more I see God moving slowly in my life. He wants me to mature and trust in Him. If He moved quickly, I'd expect Him to do that all the time.
God knows what we need, when we need it. He's always on time. We tend to push things up on His schedule, but that's not how He operates.
The Sermon on the Mount is filled with opportunities to serve others. That too is not something people don't want to hear today. What's in it for me? That's something we've all asked.
Humility, preferring others over us, and trusting in the Lord is what Jesus wants us to do and the Sermon on the Mount is the way He wants it done.
I encourage you to study it, to memorize it. To be ready in season and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment