Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Refreshment for the spirit warrior - Psalms

Often times I'll begin my Bible reading in Psalms. The trials of this world can be overcoming at times and yet we must hang on. "Having done everything to stand, therefore stand firm." (Ephesians 6:13)
How do we stand when the pressures of life are overwhelming us? How do we stand firm in the face of adversity, of which we have no control?
I go to the Psalms. I need to hear of the lovingkindness of the Lord. His grace and mercy sustain me and lift me up on the wings of eagles. I was reading in Psalms 46:4 "There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy dwelling place of the Most High."
I don't know why, but that scripture ministers to me. I love the beauty of God filling me up with His river of joy. Although I'm not perfect, He dwells in me. He lifts me up and He inhabits the praises of His people.
So the book of Psalms lifts me up. Light comes into my life, dispelling the darkness, no matter the circumstances. Even though the car overheated, Even though the bills never cease, God is in the midst of all my crisis and yours as well. Take heart, spirit warrior, and invest your time in the book of Psalms. Praise Him. Psalms will lift you up and set you on high and you can deal with the worries and troubles of life through God's eyes. Psalms will bind the kings of darkness with fetters of iron.
I read Psalms 48 as well this morning and again was ministered to. "Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, In the city of our God, His holy mountain. Beautiful in elevation, the joy of the whole earth, is Mount Zion in the far north, the city of the Great King."
We are that city, set on a lofty perch, but too often, we look at the wind and waves of life, taking our eyes off Jesus. There is only one way. There is only one Savior. His name is Jesus and He paid the price for our sins, that we may be set on high. He is our stronghold. He is our tower of strength and we run to Him, to His lovingkindness whenever we need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment